Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 15 Training

Two weeks down! Today (3/13/11) I decided to get in a bike ride instead of a run since I switched week 2 and 3 out on my schedule. I had a great time with the 5k event yesterday, and was just really feeling a bike ride today. After church my friend Laurel and I grabbed the bikes and hit the road.

 A beautiful day for a ride
 Laurel invited me a few years ago to do a triathlon with her, and I didn't have a bike, so I rode a Schwinn bike that she had on a ride with her and a few other people to see if I was really interested in cycling. When I ended up lagging far behind the rest of the group (who were all on road bikes), I decided that the competitive spirit in me would never be happy with "just finishing," so I decided to take my tax return and invest in a road bike. I thought it would be another alternative cardio choice to running, especially since I have had so much knee trouble and it just seems to be getting worse the older I get. I love cycling and am very grateful that I have an alternative to running. I've had some memorable experiences on my bike.
Laurel & Me ready to ride...

We have a regular loop that we ride all the time that is 23 miles long. I am looking to add two more miles to it, so we have a good 25 mile route. It's a perfect route in that it has some downhills, a few uphills, and some quick flat areas. We can get a pretty good cadence going for most of the route. And, the best part about it is that there is a Chipotle's on the final leg home. We stopped today and grabbed some dinner and then finished out our ride. What a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment