
Today (Saturday 5th) was a very busy day! I volunteered to work the Red Rock Marathon & 1/2 put on by Calico Racing. This race takes place out at the Loop in Red Rock. I don't run this race, because I have a bum right knee and the elevation changes would probably blow it out, and I would be done for. Take a look at the elevation chart - hills, hills, hills!
I like to volunteer for a couple of reasons. Races depend upon great volunteers! I know a lot of people have helped out at so many of the events I have participated in, so I like to give a little back. It's the only chance to see some of the great athletes performing. The guy who won the marathon was a thing of beauty in motion. When he came around the corner to the area I was manning, it was like watching a gazelle run. These hills are steep, and this athlete was stretched out and running like they were nothing. He did not have anyone on his heels, which is a testament to how good he is at his sport. He ran a 6:27 min/mile pace. On hills for 26.2 miles! That is fast.
Another benefit of volunteering is that I get to run for free. Most of the event organizer's will give you running credit. If you volunteer at their event, then you get to run one for free. So, this helps keep my running expenses down, and I can still participate. Las Vegas Running Team does this as well as Calico Racing. You can check out their websites for upcoming events and volunteering information.
I've attached a few photos of the event. Unfortunately I was so busy directing & encouraging runners that I didn't take any photos of them at my station. =( Next time.
It was a beautiful day, beautiful athletes, and a beautiful venue!
| The beautiful desert & yucca plants |
| Driving down the course |
| Finish chute |
| Unique sandstone awards for overall and age bracket winners |
| Happy, but tired racer, displaying his hard earned medal |
| Beautiful Red Rock Canyon "The Loop" |
No comments:
Post a Comment