I decided last week to increase each of my Sunday runs by an extra mile, so this week is a six miler. I have the fitness level to do this, and I feel that I will be more prepared if I have already ran a thirteen mile leg prior to race day. Sometimes it is that last mile that can take you by surprise, and I want to be prepared for it.
I decided to run in the evening, as I have church from 9 a.m. to noon, and I love my naps on Sunday. I started my run around 6 p.m. and headed out on Grand Canyon. From GC to the stake center on Azure is 3 miles, so an out and back was the game plan. I like running up Azure, because it is a long mild ascent to the church building, which really trains the muscles to accomodate a climb when they are just getting used to an even tempo pace. Mixing it up is a good thing!
I felt really good for the first 3 miles, and then at the top of the hill turn around my right knee started acting up. It is so frustrating. I have been running with this knee issue for so long (like 8 years!) I guess I don't want to have a doctor look at it, because I just know he is going to tell me to stop running and even if it can be fixed I'll have down time. I do not handle "down time" well, I get very irritable. I NEED my running. I often wonder what it would be like to be able to run and not have to baby a dumb knee injury. This knee is the only reason I haven't run a marathon yet. I honestly don't think it would hold out for 26.2 miles. Maybe with duct tape and some serious meds, but I'd pay for it later. I pushed the limits last year when I did a 100 mile bike ride. I was in so much pain afterwards that it about took me down to the ground. I am a glutton for punishment--I'm riding the 100 again this year, but definitely with a different strategy for managing the pain, and the hours of work this knee is going to go through. It holds me back so much. I could be faster, and push harder if it weren't for the pain. As it is, I constantly push it to the edge. I am one of those people who keeps going, even when I'm hurt. I have ran on a sprained ankle, which ended up taking 9 months to heal, because I wouldn't stay off of it. I had plantar fasciitis (this bad boy takes you to a whole new level of pain, just try getting out of bed in the morning and standing on the affected foot.) I ripped my big toenail off, and had major issues with that, but still I ran. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?
Well, the last 3 miles were not so pleasurable, but I kicked into Chi Running (pronounced chee) mode, and made it home. If you aren't familiar with Chi Running, I recommed taking a look at the program--especially if you are prone to running injuries.

No comments:
Post a Comment