Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 11 Training

Training is going by very quickly - week two already. I used yesterday (Mon. 3/7) as a rest day since my knee is still giving me a pain or two. This morning I took a yoga class for the stretch portion of my schedule, and this one was actually not too bad. The instructor kept it pretty simple, no pretzel poses! Each week the stretches feel so much better; it helps keep all of those tired and sore muscles loosened up, and ready to go the next go round. I felt so good and limber after the yoga class that I decided to go for a legs workout today. I feel a lot stronger, the weight that I was lifting did not feel so heavy today. I had a great workout, and felt a lot more energized. I am planning on still hitting the track tonight for speed work.
Track: Quite a few people have shown up for speed work tonight. I usually do a mile on the track to warm up, and during this warmup I decided that I would run fartlek's tonight. Fartlek's (yes, I know it's a goofy name) means "speed play" in Swedish. It is a form of interval training that puts stress on the aerobic system. Fartlek's are unstructured, so speed and intensity can be varied. Once around the track is 400 meters, so I ran a comfortable 300 meters and intensely sprinted 100 meters. I did 40 minutes of this. I didn't keep track of the mileage, and I actually have not been recording the speed workout nights on Daily Mile. I am getting in a little more mileage each week because of this.
I felt really good after the workout, and I feel like I had a really productive day since I accomplished yoga, leg workout, and fartlek's all in one day. And, the best part of all is that the old "injuries" are actually pretty much under control today.

No comments:

Post a Comment