This blog is a chronicle of my journey as I train for a 1/2 marathon and a century ride simultaneously. I hope you enjoy my experiences, tips, recommendations, and humor!
Monday, February 28, 2011
Day 2 Training
Today's training schedule is stretching and strength training. I went to 24 Hour Fitness early this morning and did a yoga class. I had not been to this instructor's class before, and was not getting too excited when she popped in the soundtrack. First, this was supposed to be a contemporary yoga class, and that usually means that the instructor's use music that is either modern, or at the least, neutral. But, this lady pop's in nitty gritty finger cymbal, chanting authentic music from India - not my favorite, and I hate it when it is too loud, and virtually impossible to hear the instructor. Yoga is not my forte, so I actually need to see, and hear what is being taught. I really just want the stretching, I'm not in it for the cultural experience, and I don't namaste. That's just me.
The routine actually turned out to be perfect for a runner. We did a lot of triangle moves (5 pointed stars), and balancing motions. These are really the best yoga moves for runners. We don't need triple inverted hanging sloth's, and other pretzel twisted animal name maneuvers.
I felt really good after the class & I had successfully blocked out most of the music. I would really rather just hear a nature soundtrack. I must say though, I really HATE downward facing dog. This position get's used more than any other, and I swear the instructor's just LOVE seeing the participant's heads swelling up and getting red like a big, fat, overripe tomato, because they leave us in this position forever!
I found this article pertaining to yoga, and the benefit to runner's. I am definitely looking forward to trying this after my next distance run.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-409--12827-0,00.html
For strength training I have a four day rotation that I have used ever since I began weight lifting. Today my workout was delts & calves. My routine is as follows:
DELTS
military presses 3 sets 12 reps with 20# dumbbells
front arm raises (alternating) 3 sets 12 reps 12# dumbbells
bent over dumbbell flys 3 sets 12 reps 20# dumbbells
CALVES
standing calf raise machine 3 sets 12 reps 70#
seated calf extension 3 sets 12 reps 135#
seated calf press 3 sets 12 reps 70#
*note: when using machines, each machine can be weighted differently, so adjust your weight accordingly. This is what works for the machines I use at the gym I go to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment